Posted by Harrace (Hong Kong)
I am at the Hong Kong airport, waiting to board a flight to Kuala Lumpur and will be heading to Singapore to attend eOneNet’s blog seminar tomorrow evening.
I note there is a notice by PCCW, the telecommunication and Internet services company “owned” by Richard Lee, that there is free internet access in the whole airport. So I went in to a restaurant, opened my laptop, and tried to go online. To my dismay, though it’s connected to the wireless network successfully, there is no Internet access.
So I am writing this posting in word document, and will upload it to our blog when I have the opportunity. The most frequently asked question in our seminars is how do we get top rankings in search engines. I have shared in my blog posting What is SEO and how to get top rankings in search engines? Part 1 the basics that we need to do. In this Part 2, I will focus on onsite SEO (search engine optimization)What is onsite SEO? This is optimizing your website from within in order to get higher rankings in search engines, in the legal and proper way, including your website structure, meta tags, internal links, contents of your site. Let me start with a list of what you should not do:
- You should not let your web designers do the SEO. Web design and SEO are two different skill sets. Similarly, you won’t ask a building contractor to sell your property.
- You should not use improper means trying to trick the search engines, e.g. by using repetitive keywords in meta tags and/or web page contents, invisible keywords, or otherwise, you may get penalized by search engines.
- You should not attempt to breach the copyright law by copying the contents (including the meta tags) of other websites.
- You should not use search engine submission services claiming they can submit your site to thousands of search engines.
- You should not use frames as your site structure, since search engines will not be able to “see” the contents.
- You should not design your whole website or a majority part in flash, even though it may look cool, for the same reason as No.5 above.
- Beware of those who claim they can teach how to get top rankings in search engines, unless their sites can be found in top rankings for Internet marketing related keywords. It will be best if you can find someone who can show you hundreds of relating top rankings, not just a few.
I will continue in another posting. Feel free to add your NOT-TO-DO list here.